Bernie Sanders - Democratic Presidential Marijuana Score: +38
Photo Credit - Tokin Bernie
Ever smoke Marijuana? "Yes, but it wasn’t for me.”
According to our poll, Bernie Sanders is Medical Marijuana's greatest friend among 2016 presidential candidates. He scores highly in virtually every poll area. Bernie's only drawback is that his resume reflects little real knowledge of medicine, life sciences and Marijuana. His comments relating to climate sciences might be politely described as manipulatively naive.
Despite being a career politician, Sander's track record indicates that he's truly a believer in the benefits of Marijuana legalization. Sanders is backed by more small businesses than mega-corp, which might indicate that he might not be ultimately a slave to Big-Pharma interests.
MMJ IQ Scores:
- Integrity ***
- Acumen ***
- Marijuana IQ ***
- Supports legalization of recreational Marijuana use. ***
- Supports legalization of Medical Cannabis *****
- Supports Constitution, each State should decide on Medical Marijuana *****
- Wants to ban all forms of Marijuana under Federal authority. ***
- Considers the Recreational use of Marijuana to be a minor / major offence. ***
- Has tried Marijuana ***
- Said something stupid or very strange regarding their Marijuana use. ***
- Supports the War on Drugs, Marijuana included ***
“I think we have got to end the war on drugs. I am not unfavorably disposed to moving toward the legalization of Marijuana.”
-- Bernie Sanders
Individual Contributions $93,883,341
Small Individual Contributions $67,393,014 (71%)
Large Individual Contributions $27,370,658 (29%)
Self Financing: negligible
Sanders the First MMJ Candidate?
Bernie is promoted as the first major party presidential candidate that fully supports the legalization of Marijuana.
Sanders has called for the Federal Government to remove Marijuana from the schedule of illegal drugs, and recommends that other states follow in the footsteps of Colorado, he finds that legalizing and taxing Marijuana is a good business idea.
Bernie favors removing Marijuana from the list of controlled substances regulated under Federal law. Under Bernie’s proposal, people in states which legalize Marijuana will not be subject to federal prosecution for using or prescribing Cannabis. Marijuana vendors that sell Marijuana would be able to fully participate in the banking system, like any other business.
States would regulate Marijuana the same way local laws now govern sales of alcohol and tobacco. Bernie would continue to allow federal law enforcement officials to arrest and prosecute illegal drug dealers for trafficking in Marijuana sales.
"You know, we don’t have cigarettes [in the Controlled Substances Act]. We don’t have alcohol on it. So I think that Marijuana should be removed and studied and looked at.”
-- Bernie Sanders endorsement from former Surgeon General Dr. Joycelyn Elders.
What Sanders Says about MMJ
“The time is long overdue for us to take Marijuana off the federal government’s list of outlawed drugs.”
“We have large numbers of lives that have been destroyed because of this war on drugs and because people were caught smoking Marijuana and so forth.”
“I certainly would support” it, in my view, states should have the right to regulate Marijuana the same way that state and local laws now govern sales of alcohol and tobacco.”
“Someone in the United States is arrested every minute on Marijuana charges. Too many Americans have seen their lives destroyed because they have criminal records as a result of Marijuana use. That’s wrong. That has got to change."
“The state of Vermont voted to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of Marijuana and I support that. I have supported the use of Medical Marijuana. And when I was mayor of Burlington, in a city with a large population, I can tell you very few people were arrested for smoking Marijuana. Our police had more important things to do."
"Colorado has led the effort toward legalizing Marijuana and I’m going to watch very closely to see the pluses and minuses of what they have done.”
“I have real concerns about the implications of the war on drugs. We have been engaged in it for decades now with a huge cost and the destruction of a whole lot of lives of people who were never involved in any violent activities. … I’m going to look at the issue.”
SANDERS MMJ MILESTONES
- Take Marijuana out of the controlled substances list. (Dec 2015)
- Treat addiction as a disease, not a crime. (Dec 2015)
- I would vote for recreational Marijuana, to reduce jailings. (Oct 2015)
- War on drugs is a failed policy; treatment over punishment. (Sep 2015)
- Decriminalize Marijuana and study recreational legalization. (Sep 2015)
- Voted NO on military border patrols to battle drugs & terrorism. (Sep 2001)
- Voted NO on subjecting federal employees to random drug tests. (Sep 1998)
- Legalize Medical Marijuana. (Jul 2001)
- Exclude industrial hemp from definition of Marijuana. (Aug 2012)
- Exempt industrial hemp from Marijuana laws. (Mar 2013)
MMJDOCTORONLINE Notes: We specialize in quick online 420 Evaluations that allow Californian's legal access to Medical Marijuana. We also provide MMJ ID cards that are used to verify, to authorities or Cannabis Dispensaries and Clubs, that the cardholder is legally entitled to possess, purchase and grow MMJ. ID Card Verification is provided 24/7 online or by phone.